Testimonials

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Grant me a Wish

Today began as a wonderful day.

We went to the plaça adjacent to the Cathedral, and then down a small street, taking photos along the way.

We walked around the church and decided to head for plaça de Sant Jaume to eat in one of those fast-food places where you can sit on the second floor and get a great a view of the plaça.

There were no tables behind me, just an open space. Behind the open space were two tables of people, sitting side by side.

My partner and I ate, talked, looked at our photos and got up to go.

Today, I became a statistic in Barcelona.

Neither of us, nor the people behind me, saw you take my purse.

You are a perfectionist and to get by me the way you did means you are very, VERY good.

If I had one wish, I would wish that you would send me EVERYTHING you won’t use.

And, maybe, if you had asked me, I might have given you what you wanted. You should have just asked.

You inconvenienced me. Yes, you did. I now have to apply for a new passport, credit card, bankbook, and insurance card. I need keys for my apartment.

I will miss my SUDOKU book but most important of all, I will have lost the only photo of me as a child … the photo that reminded me of my innocence.

But, I doubt if you will read this. Somehow I don’t see you surfing the internet.

But, maybe I can let others know the little I DO know.

You are both a middle-aged couple. I saw you from the corner of my eye and I thought you were looking for a table, moving back and forth as if you were searching for a place to sit. You blended well with the crowd.

You have taught me a lesson, again. The last time I was robbed, I was 13 years old. I am now older, and you have made me much wiser.

I can’t say that my purse will NEVER be snatched again.

But, by writing this post, if I can alert only one person to be careful of you and others like you, then sharing how I feel is worth the time spent writing this message.

But, maybe, most importantly, I am getting feelings of anger, dismay, distress and thoughts off my chest, mind and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment